- What Is NTSA Third Licence Sticker?
- How To Get NTSA Sticker in Kenya?
- NTSA Tims Account Registration
- NTSA TIMS – Services Offered
- How To Apply For NTSA Inspection Sticker
- NTSA inspection requirements
- Ntsa Motor Vehicle Logbook Transfer Charges
- NTSA log book transfer via TIMS
- NTSA APP
- NTSA E-Sticker
- NTSA Sticker For Private Cars
On August, 2018, National Transport Safety Authority Kenya( NTSA) through its Director General Francis Meja, announced the second phase commencement of the acquisition of the third licence plate for motor vehicles.
According to National Transport Safety Authority Kenya, the main objectives of introducing the third licence plate for motor vehicles are; to curb road offences, interchanging of number plates and to reduce crimes resulting from the use of motor vehicles.
The acquisition of the NTSA third licence plate for private motor vehicles in Kenya began on September, 2018. All motor vehicles undergoing new registration and inspection were to have the third licence plate as from September, 2018.
The acquisition of the NTSA e-sticker in Kenya is in line with the traffic( Registration Plate),Rules, Legal Notice No.62 which was gazetted on 15th, April 2016. So, have you bought the third licence sticker for your vehicle?
What Is NTSA Third Licence Sticker?
Third Licence Sticker is an electronic sticker which according to National Transport Safety Authority ( NTSA) director general, it will boost Kenya’s tax revenue.
It will also support the safety of the traffic network as well as to provide a durable link between the vehicle and the number plate.
The NTSA Third Licence Plate is linked to Transport Integrated Management System ( TIMS), when removed from the windscreen, it will be destroyed.
— NTSA KENYA (@ntsa_kenya) August 22, 2017
You as a motorist in order to get the third licence plate, you will have to pay KES 700. The third licence plate is valid for 10 years and you be required to renew it at the cost of KES 700 when the period lapses.
In case of a road accident and the sticker gets damaged, you will be required to apply for a replacement at the same cost.
NTSA third licence plate has the following features; it is tamper proof and has tamper evidence. The sticker contains the following details in an electronic format;
● Chassis Number
● Registration number
● Motor vehicle ownership
The third licence picks details of a car traveling at a speed of 200 km/hr and reads from a distance of 10 metres. The third licence plate has a data retention of at least 8 years.
Some of the key benefits of NTSA third licence plate according to National Transport Safety Authority Kenya
● Third licence sticker detects stolen cars through various checkpoints
● Government will be able to know the number of cars in the country
● Government will also have statistics on traffic volume.
How To Get NTSA Licence Sticker in Kenya?
Gone are the days vehicle owners used to walk around with papers around government offices in order for their vehicles to be inspected.
With the development in information and communication system and the implementation of digital agenda, it has made it easy to get NTSA Sticker.
For you to access the NTSA Sticker and other services, you need to have NTSA Transport Information Management System (TIMS) account.
NTSA Tims Account Registration
Follow the following steps when creating NTSA TIMS for the first time;
● Click the register account link, then you will be directed to the e-Register an account
● Then sign up as a personal user under the individual category
● Put your Pin Number,
● Put your mother’s maiden name
● Provide your Phone Number and profession
● Then click on the button which is next to mobile number to get verification code
● Put the code which you have been given in the verification tab to finish the procedure of
NTSA TIMS – Services Offered
It is also important for you to know the services offered on NTSA TIMS portal, which are;
● Vehicle registration
● Transfer of automobile ownership
● Online car search
● Car inspection
● Reflective number plate application
● Duplicate logbook application
● Kenya driving book
● Curriculum for training drivers guidelines
● Saccos in Kenya pdf downloads
● Motor vehicle inspection booking
● Model town board driving test
● NTSA fines in Kenya
● Subscribing to NTSA SMS
● NTSA PSV license renewal
The benefits of NTSA TIMS are remarkable. It has provided linkage between payment for services and services delivery. TIMS offers transparency in the registration process cutting off brokers who used to take advantage of citizens.
More so, it provides a secure process during vehicle registration and the transfer of ownership.TIMS has also improved the flow of information in the transport sector and made work easier in the traffic police department.
Lastly, NTSA TIMS provides security. No one can create an already registered account because when signing up for NTSA TIMS account, you are required to key in the serial number of your National Id, this serves as a secure measure.
How To Apply For NTSA Inspection Sticker ?
So, you want your car to be inspected and to have the third licence sticker. It is important to understand the Directorate of Motor Vehicle Inspection centers carries the functions listed below as stipulated in the Traffic Act Cap 403, Section 17A;
● Booking motor vehicles for inspection
● Conduct both motor vehicle inspection and certification
● Regulation of public service vehicles
You have already signed up for NTSA TIMS account, here are the steps to follow when applying for third license sticker and motor inspection booking;
● Navigate to the vehicle inspection tab to commence the booking process
● In case you are a new car owner, click on new car booking, then fill in your car’s entry number
● If you want to yearly booking, click annual booking. Then enter your car’s registration number
● Make payments via Mpesa, Airtel Money, Credit/Debit/Cash or KCB Bank.
● Note NTSA vehicle inspection will cost you KES 1000, third licence sticker KES700 and a convenience fee of KES 50. In total you will pay KES1750
● After payment, click the complete button, you will receive a receipt which is to be printed
● Go back to complete the inspection booking process
● Click on booking tab
● Select your nearest inspection station
● Choose time and date for inspection
● Then submit the information you have given.
● If you want to view all your information, go back to to the vehicle inspection page.
● Print the generic inspection booking slip for later use and inspection
NTSA Motor Vehicle Inspection Booking Requirements
It is important to note that, booking for motor inspection is valid for 14 days. When the period lapses, the booking has to be done afresh.
Note that, when you going for motor inspection, you need to have;
● The NTSA payment receipt
● The motor vehicle for actual check
● Your physical presence for inspection to proceed
Ntsa Motor Vehicle Logbook Transfer Charges
So you want to transfer log book here are the requirements for a successful procedure;
● Provide a complete filled form C.This is a very important NTSA logbook transfer form that contains the needed details for the procedure
● Provide copies of National ID for both buyer and seller
● PIN certificate
● Copies of National ID for both parties
● PIN certificate for both parties
● Certificate of incorporation
● Certificate of business registration
● Duplicate of binding insurance cover
● PIN certificate for both parties
● Original log book
● Attach letters of administration if the owner is deceased
● A report should be attached if the vehicle inspection is written off
● Provide letter authorizing and signed by the particular permanent secretaries in case of parastatal, former government vehicles and local authorities
● Provide sales agreement signed by both parties for the transfer to be effective.
● Where the vehicle is held for resale, it is important to inform the registrar
as soon as possible, to avoid being charged more.
NTSA log book transfer via TIMS
The National Transport Safety Authority looks forward to increase compliance with traffic rules and enforcement, in return to enhance access and security to information that is vital to the traffic police department.
Furthermore, the third licence sticker has simplified the online logbook transfer which back then was hectic, stressful and took too long to complete the procedure.
Here are steps for NTSA log book transfer via TIMS
● Create an account on TIMS for logbook transfer.
● Click on vehicle registration
● Then proceed to apply for transfer of ownership
● Click on create new button, key in the registration number of the vehicle you want to
transfer. afterwards , click on inquire button
● Then upload a scanned copy of the logbook
● Key in the National ID number and KRA PIN of the buyer, then click on the add button
● Tick on the disclaimer button. A code will be sent to your mobile phone or email
● Then click next, showing the page with the basic information of the vehicle to be transferred including the details of the new owner
● Then submit the application
● Make payments via MPESA, KCB bank
● Once the seller submits the application, the buyer continues to log in in his/her TIMS account and approves ownership
● A verification code will be sent to the buyer mobile phone number or via the email
● Key in the details of the person who will pick the logbook and select the your preferred station to collect the logbook
● The National Transport Safety Authority will process the new logbook in 2 weeks time
● Leave the old logbook with them while collecting the new one.
Download NTSA APP
With the app revolutionary in Kenya, it has made it possible for Kenyans to access information and services offered by most companies for instance, Banks. For this reason National Transport Safety Authority introduced an app that will provide information and services to the vehicle owners.
The NTSA looks forward to increase customer engagement through the app. The customers won’t be lining up anymore or waiting for long hours in order to be served.
The NTSA app has made it possible for vehicle owners to access the self services and get value for the services rendered through the app.
The National Transport Safety Authority has made it easier for vehicle owners to access information and services through the NTSA app.
The app is free to use, easy and convenient for all vehicle owners. Here are key features of NTSA app;
● You can have an access to the inspection status of your motor vehicle
● The app provides you with the status of your driving licence
● You can also check the status of your sacco licence
● The status of the PSV licencing is also provide on the app
● The app also provides the status of vehicle’s night travel licence
● You can also report road acccidents
● You can verify application status
It is now mandatory for car owners for car owners to use e-sticker which allows secure identification and authentication of vehicle ownership.
Applicants for motor vehicle transfers and duplicate log books are required to have the e-sticker.The e-sticker will be placed on the left-hand side on the inner side of the windscreen.
As noted before, when damaged during an accident or removed, it gets destroyed and you will be required to replace it at a fee of KES700.
According to National Transport Safety Authority( NTSA) director general, the e-sticker is secure because it is protected against forgery. In case when it gets tampered with, is automatically destroyed.
The NTSA e-sticker has the following details in an electronic format;Chassis Number,make, color,registration number, motor vehicle ownership which are connected to a central database. In addition, the NTSA e-sticker contains details of motor vehicles insurance validation and among other compliance and legal requirements.
The e-sticker scanner retrieves details from vehicles moving at a speed of 200 km/hour, from a distance of 10 meters
NTSA Sticker For Private Cars
You as a private motorist you are required to acquire the third licence sticker when renewing your annual insurance.
The application for third licence sticker can be done through the integrated Transport Information Management System (TIMS).
Once you have completed the process, you will be issued with the NTSA third licence sticker which will be official and can be read electronically.
The NTSA third licence sticker will reduce the cases of fraud and corruption which you have encountered as private motorist. It has provided a single source of material on road transport data as it is linked to a central data.
Are you having trouble getting your car insured? Are you looking for best deals in insurance products? Your search for car insurance Kenya company has come to end.
At NEXT we offer you the best deals on insurance products. Log in to our website and get in touch with us.
Also Read :
- How To Review Your Car Insurance Policy In Kenya?
- Why To Shop For Car Insurance Every Six Months – Top 7⃣ Reasons
- 10 Smart Ways To Save On Car Insurance – An Infographic
- How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Kenya?
- 8 Things To Consider When Renewing Car Insurance In Kenya
- 9 Factors That Could Affect Your Car Insurance Rate
- 8 Safety Tips To Avoid A Car Accident