Used vehicle sales are two to three times higher than new vehicle sales. In 2018, more than two million used cars were sold in Kenya. NTSA has developed a standard document to be used for the sale of used vehicles: the declaration of assignment. This document must be completed by the seller. It is available for download on the NTSA website.
The National Transport and Safety Authority was established through an Act of Parliament; Act Number 33 on 26th October 2012. The objective of the creation of the Authority was to harmonize the activities of the main departments of the road transport and help manage the road transport sub-sector. To continue the process related to road safety and by reducing the loss of life and Road traffic injuries caused by both motorists and pedestrians.
In 2016, the National Transport and Safety Authority rolled out a new online platform dubbed TIMS NTSA. Transport Integrated Management Systems (TIMS) is a digital platform where Kenyans can access a myriad of services including car registration, vehicle inspections, change of particulars, online vehicle search by using the car’s registration or chassis number, KRA logbook transfer, duplicate logbook application, and reflective number plate applications.
The transfer of the logbook takes place especially when someone wants to sell his vehicle. However, before the vehicle becomes yours, you must perform a logbook transfer that will verify the ownership of the vehicle.The seller must specify not only the day of the transfer but also the moment to release any responsibility in case of infringement committed on the day of the sale by the new buyer.
The agency has made the NTSA transfer of logbook so transparent with the help of TIMS account via the e- citizen portal which has eliminated the manual registration of vehicles.
Note that the National Transportation and Security Authority – NTSA logbook transfer requirements differ from each category, from an individual to a company to a corporation.
What you Need for NTSA Motor Vehicle Transfer?
NTSA now encourages individuals to register on their TIMS portal that can allow them to transfer motor vehicles online and pay the Motor vehicle logbook transfer fees after completion using mobile money. Below are the things you need to have before going for online motor vehicle logbook transfer.
Make sure to carry all the necessary documents required for your application:
- Bring original document related to Logbook
- KRA Transfer Form C must be filled by both the car seller and buyer
- Carry the copies of IDs of seller and buyer
- Copies of PIN is also required for both seller and buyer
- If buying from an organisation then Copies of Certificate of Registration and PIN is required for the seller and buyer.
The pdf transfer form of the NTSA logbook can be completed here online and be downloaded for printing.
Form C for transfer of motor vehicle ownership is no longer in use,to effect a transfer log onto https://t.co/3axJFq7JTz and click on TIMS or reach us via our free mobile app. pic.twitter.com/I1aA0GPGYG
— NTSA KENYA (@ntsa_kenya) February 15, 2018
NTSA logbook transfer procedure
The NTSA Tims online logbook transfer system enables real-time vehicle transfers.
During this process:
- Request for a copy of the vehicle file
To request the vehicle file before proceeding with the transaction:
- Complete the Vehicle Application Form ;
- attach the required payment;
send it to the Corporation’s Dissemination Division or one of its points of service.
You can apply for transfer of motor vehicle ownership at the comfort of your home and get the logbook in 3 days. pic.twitter.com/8VU9FPKfHk
— NTSA KENYA (@ntsa_kenya) 26 January 2018
Step 1: Registering an account in TIMS NTSA
- Visit the official TIMS NTSA website and select the Register an Account tab
- click on the Subscribe SMS option that is at the top right of the screen
- Then request for a verification code by tapping on the icon
- After you receive the code, input it in the verification tab, and you are now over with the registration process.
- click on Send Code and fill in the space with the security code that you will receive on your handset.
Step 2: NTSA transfer of motor vehicle ownership
Step 3: Acceptance/Decline of NTSA transfer of motor vehicle ownership
NTSA logbook Transfer Requirements
Before transferring the NTSA logbook in Kenya, you must meet the following requirements.
The seller and the buyer needs to complete the application form – KRA Transfer Form C. This is a very important NTSA booklet transfer form that contains all the necessary details for the procedure.
(a) Requirement for Individuals
- PIN cards of both seller and buyer is required.
- National Identity Card (ID) is also required for both the buyer and seller.
b) Requirement for Businesses
- Copy of the PIN Certificate for the buyer and seller.
- Certificate of incorporation of a company or corporation
(c) Requirement for Companies
- In case of inspection of the vehicle, the same in writing report must be attached
- In the case of former government vehicles and local authorities, a letter of authorization and signed by the permanent secretaries concerned
- Do not forget to bring your business Registration Certificate
- PIN Certificate for both parties – the buyer and seller.
- Carry the original registration booklet (not the copy of logbook)
- If the owner is dead – Declaration of death must be attached
- Each car must be insured so you must carry a copy of insurance cover
- Sales contract – specifying the complete details of the vehicle, ie the maker, the chassis and number. Both parties the seller and buyer should sign the agreement for it to be effective for the transfer of the NTSA logbook. If a vehicle is held for resale, the registrar must be informed within 15 days, otherwise, the amount is equal to the prescribed fees.
NOTE – Motor vehicle transfer service is available on weekdays from 7 am to 5 pm and on Saturdays from 7.30am to 12.30 pm. On the other end, when using the online logbook transfer Kenya system, individuals can access the service 24/7 at their convenience.
Advantages of online transfer of vehicle logbook
The transfer of the Tims NTSA Motor Vehicle Logbook by brokers, personal owners and financial institutions to the online portal is intended to facilitate the process and reduce the time vehicle owners spend on this task.
The use of technology in road transport management will eliminate fraud and corruption, provide a single source of information on road transport data, increase compliance with traffic rules and enforcement. It is improving access and information relevant to the transport sector. It also simplified the transfer of the NTSA online logbook, which was once a tedious and time-consuming process.
Other NTSA online services
The best thing about NTSA’s support for KRA’s vehicle logbook transfer functions is that you can perform certain activities via the online E-Citizen platform. Vehicle vendors are required to initiate online transfers into the new system – a procedure that could be a challenge for buyers who have been using transfer documents for years.
The online system platform will also allow online car search via:
- a registration number,
- chassis number,
- a duplicate request in the journey log,
- a reflective license plate application and
- a vehicle inspection.
Other online services include issuing, renewing and applying for a driver’s license.
Also Read – NTSA Motor Vehicle Search in Kenya & Logbook Car Search
- Driving Licence Checker Kenya – How To Check It is Original?
- How To Apply For Duplicate Driving Licence In Kenya (Lost/Stolen)
- How to Apply for New Smart Digital Driving License in Kenya?
- NTSA New Driving License Kenya – Things You Need To Know
NTSA logbook transfer fee
The transfer fee for the NTSA logbook has not changed compared to the previous year, 2018.
The NTSA logbook transfer charges can be varies depending on the engine capacity of the vehicle.
- Not exceeding 1000cc: Kshs 1,660
- 1001 – 1200cc: Kshs 1,890
- 1201 – 1500cc: Kshs 2,065
- 1501 – 1700cc: Kshs 2,410
- 1701 – 2000cc: Kshs 2,695
- 2001 – 2500cc: Kshs 3,845
- 2501 – 3000cc: Kshs 5,055
- 3001 and above: Kshs 5,915
- A trailer with less than four wheels: Kshs 1,030
- A trailer with more than four wheels: Kshs 1,890
- Tractor: Kshs 1,030
The system is designed to help on the NTSA logbook transfer online of a motor vehicle and other services related to what the agency offers.
After going through this guide to transfer a logbook after changing ownership of vehicles, you will notice that the process of transferring the NTSA logbook is not that complicated at all. With the right documents and the right fees, the rest will be done with ease.
The NTSA has shortened the process for sellers and buyers, so they do not have to go through a long and frustrating process of logbook transfer.