Before going deep into any process and other procedure related to a Kenyan driving license we need to have a few preliminary steps. There is a need that the individuals must be aware of the things that are included in getting a smart Kenyan driving license. Do you know that there is a need to register yourselves in NTSA TIMS first and then further get on any queries. Now, what is NTSA? Let’s have a look at it.
There may be many cases when you just need to apply for digital driving license in Kenya and register yourselves on NTSA TIMS so we have all covered for you in just one blog that will be sure of great help to you and our readers as well.
You must have questions in your mind related to ntsa smart driving licence application, We’ll answer you with every question you have about Kenyan driving license & How to apply for the new smart Kenyan driving license .
- What is smart card driving License?
- How to get digital driving license in Kenya?
- How much does it cost for a driving License in Kenya?
- How do you pay for a Kenyan digital driving license?
- NTSA smart driving license application process?
What is NTSA TIMS?
A new online platform named TIMS ( Transport Integrated Management System)was introduced by NTSA i.e (National Transport and Safety Authority) that allows you to register and transfer your motor vehicle. It’s been available to the car dealers. The various services that are included in it are:
- Vehicle inspection
- Duplicate Logbook application
- Car Registration
- Change of particulars
- Reflective Number Plate application
- Transfer of car ownership and
- Online car search using either the registration number or the chassis number.
How to Register on NTSA TIMS Platform?
To register on the new NTSA TIMS platform, you need to follow the below-listed steps:
- Go here tims.ntsa.go.ke/individualRegister and create your account
- Add initial details i.e. ID Serial Number (NOT ID number), PIN Number and Mother’s Maiden Name
- Add your occupation and phone number
- Then request for a verification code by clicking on the button next to the phone number.
- Once you receive the code, add it on the verification tab, and you will be good to go.
How to Subscribe to NTSA SMS?
Visit NTSA SMS portal: Subscribe SMS.
- Enter your phone number and subscribe.
- To confirm you have subscribed to NTSA 22847 Service:
- Safaricom Prepaid Customers: Dial *100*5*4*1#
- Safaricom Postpaid Customers: Dial *200*5*4*1#
NTSA Driving License Categories:
Several types of vehicle are covered by various driving license categories Kenya and also have varying minimum age restrictions.
If you would like to include a new automobile or vehicle category upon your driving license, in that case, the vehicle you have taken the test in, need to meet certain specifications.
NTSA Driving License Vehicle Category A
NTSA Driving License Vehicle Category B
NTSA Driving License Vehicle Category C
NTSA Driving License Vehicle Category D
NTSA Smart Driving License Vehicle Category E
NTSA Digital Driving License Vehicle Category F
NTSA New Driving License Vehicle Category H
Digital kenyan driving license – Vehicle Category K
New Driving License Vehicle Category P
NTSA Verification Code & Document Verification:
NTSA verification can also be done via SMS with a shortcode 22846. The ntsa document for verification include:
- Driving License
- PSV and Saco Licences
- Road Service Licence
- Motor vehicle inspection details
Smart Digital Driving License in Kenya:
Nowadays, driving licenses are upgraded and are being provided as smart card driving license in Kenya. These are a tamper-proof plastic card having a memory of 64Kb embedded in a microprocessor. It will have all the information stored in it about an individual holding his/her driving license.
These licenses will definitely revolutionize road safety in Kenya. The unique new smart digital driving license in Kenya seeks to eliminate fraud in the acquisition of a driver’s license by preventing the development of fake documents from the back streets.
How to Get Digital Driving License in Kenya?
The most awaited smart driving licenses are there for you. As per NTSA, all car owners should register on the NTSA TIMS platform as it is where they would be offering their services. For ntsa smart driving licence application you need to do the following –
- NTSA TIMS Account Creation: An individual needs to create an account on the NTSA TIMS platform.
- Go to NTSA HQ: To avoid yourselves from going through any long queues you must reach the Upper Hill (NTSA HQ) before 8:30 am. You will start from the ground floor where they will provide you with the date. After taking the slip from them you need to give the same slip at the information desk.
- Confirm Personal Details: Log in to NTSA TIMS account with an NTSA agent so that they can confirm your personal details that even includes your blood type information.
- Make Payment: The payment of Ksh. 3,050 for the new smart Kenyan driving license via M-Pesa needs to be made.
- Bio metrics and Signature: You will be required to take a digital picture, and bio metrics and digital signature are also taken by them.
- Printed License: Your license will be then printed.
- License Validation: The last step is definitely validating your license and then you are all free.
What Is the Cost of a Driving License in Kenya?
To book your driving test you are required to pay Ksh.600 as well as Ksh.600 for the provisional driving license. The prescribed fee is to be paid at any District Commissioners Office or at the Road transport department Offices. This driving license is either valid for one year (annual fee Ksh.700) or three years (triennial fee Ksk.1400). There may be very few chances that these prices might have fluctuated to some extent so please keep yourself updated.
Need To Know – Cost Of Car Insurance Cover Kenya
NTSA does not accept any cash payments. The validity period for the Smart Driving License will be three (3) years. The authority further clarified that on completion of the application process, one will be advised when to collect their Smart Driving License.